From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/14/2022)
Presented by Katie Bennett, PhD, MB(ASCP)CM & Deborah Johnson, MS, MT(ASCP), SM
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
Go Go Molecular Gadgets!
- In the expensive and fast-paced world of molecular diagnostics, new and cost-effective molecular instruments are now available to teach and demonstrate molecular techniques and applications. The use of a portable PCR and electrophoresis apparatus and a DNA sequencing instrument that fits in the palm of your hand will be discussed, along with an overview of how we integrated them into our curriculum for hands-on and remote molecular laboratory skill development.
- Do you want to use some online educational tools but do not know where to begin? This session will be an overview of select online educational tools and how they can be used in the MLS curriculum. Tools covered will include Nearpod, Vevox, Edpuzzle, Edublog, ThingLink, Kahoot!, and many more. You will have a toolbox full of different options to begin your online adventure.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify molecular instruments and tools that are affordable for use in teaching.
- Describe concepts and learning objectives that can be accomplished in the classroom using these tools.
- Integrate molecular gadgets into molecular curriculum to enhance hands-on experiences in the laboratory and remotely.
- Describe the best use(s) for each tool and discuss how to access these online educational tools.
- Identify the pros and cons of each tool from the educator perspective.
- List the challenges in learning how to use these tools from the student perspective.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.