From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/15/2022)
Presented by Linsey Donner, MPH, MLS(ASCP)CM & Letycia Nuñez-Argote, MPH, MLS(ASCP)CM
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
Creating Online Laboratory Unknowns and Demonstration Videos
- This session explores the creation and implementation of online lab unknowns from a microbiology perspective. The process of developing lab demonstration videos and building online lab unknowns in a microbiology course to enhance student learning will be discussed. The principles presented in this session may be used to create demonstration videos and online unknowns in other disciplines.
- Facilitated development of an infographic can encourage creativity and inspire deeper learning of complex foundational information. The presenter will guide participants through the implementation of an assignment framework that creates opportunities for learners to engage with immunology topics while developing professional skills such as communication of science topics and team work.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe the use of online culture unknowns to promote student understanding of microbiology concepts.
- Develop an understanding of how to create and implement lab demonstration videos and online lab unknowns.
- Discuss the successes and failures in the development and implementation of online lab unknowns.
- Identify the pedagogical benefits of digital technology as a tool in teaching health science information.
- Appraise the purpose, value and potential uses of infographics as a facilitated learning tool in laboratory science courses.
- Recognize and distinguish opportunities and pitfalls of implementing a visual technology assignment into the immunology CLS curriculum.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.