From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/15/2022)
Presented by Beverly Barham, PhD, MT(ASCP) & Phyllis Ingham, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
The Positive Impact of Useful Repetition
- Teaching diverse groups of MLS students can be challenging even for the most experienced educators. Infusing useful repetition exercises into content coursework will help students build a stronger foundation in both lecture and lab.
- In this interactive session, we will discover how to utilize reverse case studies to engage students in active learning activities to develop skills to think critically and solve problems using key concepts.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the meaning of useful repetition as an educational strategy
- Identify various examples of infusing useful repetition into lecture courses
- Discuss the pros and cons of infusing useful repetition exercises into the laboratory experience
- Discover barriers to critical thinking.
- Examine how to create a Reverse Case Study.
- Practice building a Reverse Case Study using realistic situations to solve problems simulating real-world scenarios to develop reasoning and independent thinking skills.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.