From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/16/2022)
Presented by Andrea Jensen, MPH, MLS(ASCP)CM & Rachelle Barrett, MLS(ASCP)CMSBB
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
Assessment Planning - The Journey is the Destination
- Assessment planning can feel like a daunting process, especially for educators who have transitioned from disciplinary areas outside of academia. This session will support attendees in their efforts to create and/or revise a comprehensive programmatic assessment plan inclusive of mission, goals, student learning outcomes, curriculum map, and final assessment plan/schedule. The techniques and processes discussed are applicable to any academic program.
- Sometimes programmatic assessment can feel like just administrative numbers crunching. This session will walk through one program's programmatic assessment process and share examples of what to do with assessment data after it is gathered, helping to improve teaching practices and student experience.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify aspects to incorporate in the programmatic mission, goals, and student learning objectives
- Describe the curriculum mapping process and the utility of a curriculum map
- Identify the necessary components of a programmatic assessment plan and schedule
- Interpret accrediting agency and university standards to develop a comprehensive assessment program.
- Discuss particular data points that demonstrate program effectiveness and the appropriate documentation of assessment data.
- Analyze data from program assessment to make recommendations for program improvement and suggest followup data collection.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.